Monday, October 5, 2015

Why Japanese?

I love to learn new languages. I am fluent in English and Bengali, and can understand quite a bit of Spanish. I've also taken a class in Arabic for two years, and enjoyed it a lot. I wanted to expand my learning to the East Asian languages, and Japanese seemed to be the easiest place to start with its syllabic pronunciation and use of Romaji. I've already learned a lot of words in Japanese, and can recognize certain words and particles when watching Anime. It's always very exciting when I hear others speaking different languages, especially in New York City where you find foreign language speakers around every corner. While the spread of English has created an international standard, the use of native languages is becoming less and less, and I want help in the preservation and continuation of the beautiful languages from all over the world. My goal is to be able to speak 10 languages before I'm 40, at least one from each of the continents, fingers crossed :).

3 comments:

  1. I have always admired multilingual people and I hope to become a person of such kind. Your goal is really magnificent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haydarsan I took Arabic for two years too! Did you take it at Columbia or learn somewhere else? I also speak Spanish fluently, let me know if you ever want to practice speaking in Spanish with me! Also, if you learn Spanish really well then learning Portuguese, Italian, and French is super easy and you can be at your 10 language goal in no time. Good luck on picking up 5 more languages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,My name is Kodai Katayama. I'm Japanese university student.
    Your Dream is fantastic!!!!!!!! I learn english now...:D
    How much can you speak Japanese???
    Nice to meet you.

    ReplyDelete